BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error Backing up Servers

2012-08-21 12:53:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error Backing up Servers
From: Olivier Ragain <oragain AT chryzo DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 18:51:46 +0200
Using '*' works also for the windows shares (at least when using samba).
So you don't have to specify C$, D$...

As for the syntax, personnally, had to actually tweak it a bit, for 2k3
and 2k8 servers:
* always use backward slashes
* don't double the first backward slashes
* Through the web interface, if you want to specify a folder, you need
to add \* at the end, if you want to look for a folder at every specific
level, it would be something like: *\foldername\*
* If you manually edit the config file, you need to escape de backward
slashes, so double them.

Also, with W7 and 2k8, you need to remove some of the "links" like
documents & settings and so on. Not at work atm, but I can send you my
exclude list.

And yes, I am backing up linux. Atm my config is like this:
* Windows => samba... a pain to set up and deploy rsyncd on the windows
platform atm (maybe when I have time)
* Linux and MacOS => rsyncd

However, as explained in the documentation, you can only create one
default config that will be applied to every hosts. If an host is an
exception, you have to manually edit its conf file. Usually, I use the
web interface. And in the main config file, I end up having pretty much
all the excludes, be it windows / linux or MAC.

Regards,