BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Error Backing up Servers

2012-08-23 04:55:04
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Error Backing up Servers
From: gshergill <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 01:53:35 -0700
Hi again guys,

Hi Les Mikesell,

==================
Yes, then go to the server2 page and change any details that differ.
If the shares are the same and you don't set ClientNameAlias, you
might not need to change anything for additions made this way. Note
that you want to be sure your source settings are correct before
making a lot of copies, though. Subsequent changes of settings that
override the global config will have to be repeated for each copy.

You probably want the global settings to match your most common target
type because you can make changes there and affect all targets that
don't override it, but the template/copy approach is good where you
have several of a different type (like windows/linux).
==================

Thank you, i'll most likely change the global settings as most will be similar,
and edit the few that require different settings.
Seems to be the best method.

--------------------------------

Hi Oliver,

==================
When you edit the configuration file, you need to reload the configuration
file, the documentation provides 3 ways to do this. The web interface, the
kill -HUP backup pc way and just stopping / restarting the service.
Otherwise the configuration file is only reloaded every 24 hours.
==================

I usually just restart the service from a terminal to be honest, seems to be
quick and easy that way. At the moment the backups going on are just to test so
is no issue when they are cancelled.
However, I can see restarting being an issue later when configs are changed
during backups.

Does reloading configuration from the webclient cancel active backups?

==================
I attached the main list I use, though might not be exhaustive.
==================

Where is this attached sorry?

==================
If you look into your C drive for example, you should have a folder named:
"Documents and Settings", but that is just actually a link to "Users", it
is the same for my documents, my videos and some others. So, no need to
back them up twice (takes time for nothing).
==================

Okay that's a good idea, wouldn't like for issues to occur with extra space
taken up unnecessarily, thanks.

--------------------------------

There seems to be the same issue with rsync backing up /proc/ and failing, I
think maybe I added the argument in the wrong location.

Looking at the documentation (now I know what it means thanks to the help here)
they mention the following;

Examples of additional arguments that should work are --exclude/--include, eg:

    $Conf{RsyncArgsExtra} = [
          '--exclude', '/proc',
          '--exclude', '*.tmp',
    ];

Would it be better to add the exclude arguments here do you think?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

gshergill