BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error Backing up Servers

2012-08-22 12:25:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error Backing up Servers
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:11:02 -0400
On 8/21/2012 12:51 PM, Olivier Ragain wrote:
> Using '*' works also for the windows shares (at least when using samba).
> So you don't have to specify C$, D$...
>
> As for the syntax, personnally, had to actually tweak it a bit, for 2k3
> and 2k8 servers:
> * always use backward slashes
> * don't double the first backward slashes
> * Through the web interface, if you want to specify a folder, you need
> to add \* at the end, if you want to look for a folder at every specific
> level, it would be something like: *\foldername\*
> * If you manually edit the config file, you need to escape de backward
> slashes, so double them.

I have had better luck with forward slashes.  Samba will convert them
for you and there is no need to double them as there are no escaping
issues.  This makes the config files much easier to read and your syntax
can remain the same for Windows and Linux systems.

For example:

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
   '*' => [
     '/pagefile.sys',
     '/Downloads',
     '/Documents and Settings/*/Cookies',
     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files',
     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temp',
     '/Documents and Settings/*/NTUSER.DAT*',
     '/Documents and Settings/*/ntuser.dat*',
     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat*',
     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/Cache',
     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/OfflineCache',
     '/Documents and Settings/*/Recent',
     '*.lock',
     'Thumbs.db',
     'IconCache.db',
     'Cache*',
     'cache*',
     '/RECYCLER',
     '/temp'
   ]
};

Now, I don't have any 2k3 or 2k8 servers that are using Samba shares for
backup, but I would not expect the behavior to change.

--
Bowie