BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up from BackupPC to BackupPC

2011-12-09 15:46:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up from BackupPC to BackupPC
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 21:42:12 +0100
On Friday 09 December 2011 15:28:43 Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-12-09 at 13:15 +0000, member horvath wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a requirement where I need to deploy a backuppc installation on
> > > a site that will connect to several servers and backup their required
> > > files.
> > > I need to keep a daily incremental of 30 daily and 6 monthly backups.
> > > This part is ok and I have no problem setting up (Except getting the
> > > schedule right - I find this hard to do with backuppc)
> > >
> > > As an offsite backup I'd like my onsite backuppc unit to inform my
> > > offsite backuppc unit that the backup is complete and then the remote
> > > needs to pull only the most current backup from the onsite.
> > > So basically a 30 day/6 month onsite backup with the most current
> > > backup stored offsite
> > > Can this be done?
> >
> > I'd look into the archive functionally of backuppc and push the current
> > backup as a tarball to the offsite host and not worry about running
> > remote backuppc. As you say you are only looking to hold the current
> > backup offsite you can simply transfer the current archive with
> > scp/rsync/tar over ssh to the offsite host.
>
> Another approach would be to set up an archive host that's mounted on a
> network-mounted drive, or on a local directory that's then rsynced over the
> network.  See Archive functions in the BackupPC docs.  Then
> DumpPostUserCommand etc. might be used to notify the remote server to start
> its rsync job.

I use the pre/post-archive commands to login/logout/mount/unmount an iscsi-
device when writing archives to it. And these archives are scheduled weekly by
cron.
I also extended the script to remove all dirs/files older then 28 days from the
remote disk. But that feature isn't fully debugged and needs to proof itself
in around 1.5 days...

Have fun,

Arnold