BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Backing up from BackupPC to BackupPC

2011-12-11 15:34:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Backing up from BackupPC to BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 14:32:27 -0600
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 1:03 PM, member horvath
<member AT thehorvaths.co DOT uk> wrote:
> Thanks very much for the info.
> my backups are many terabytes in size so making local copies over and
> above the onsite backup is not practical.
> To remind you I need a 30day/6month onsite and only the most recent offsite.
> Once the initial offsite is performed (This will be very large) The
> ongoing "incremental s" will still be several GBs.
> I need the archive option in backuppc to rsync the most recent copy
> offsite on a daily basis.

The safest/easiest approach is to simply run a 2nd instance of
backuppc from an offsite location, perhaps through a vpn.  This can be
practical even for large systems if you make the initial fulls with
the server on-site, then move it, using rsync for the transfers.  That
way you don't have a single point of failure as you do if you make one
backup and copy it.  And unless you have a lot of duplicate files on
your systems, the amount of data you transfer daily will be about the
same anyway.

Some people have reported success with rsync'ing their whole archive
directory to a remote system, but it is generally not practical due to
the time it takes to traverse/recreate the huge number of hardlinks.
You can image-copy the whole fileystem, but even that will take too
much time to do daily and it has to be done with the filesystem
unmounted - or at least not changing.

Next best might be to extract a tar image of the latest run as soon as
it completes, split into reasonable sized chunks in a directory, then
rsync that to your offsite copy.  However I wouldn't expect rsync to
be very efficient in that scenario.

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011