BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up from BackupPC to BackupPC

2011-12-09 08:53:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up from BackupPC to BackupPC
From: Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 13:50:19 +0000
On Fri, 2011-12-09 at 13:15 +0000, member horvath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a requirement where I need to deploy a backuppc installation on
> a site that will connect to several servers and backup their required
> files.
> I need to keep a daily incremental of 30 daily and 6 monthly backups.
> This part is ok and I have no problem setting up (Except getting the
> schedule right - I find this hard to do with backuppc)
>
> As an offsite backup I'd like my onsite backuppc unit to inform my
> offsite backuppc unit that the backup is complete and then the remote
> needs to pull only the most current backup from the onsite.
> So basically a 30 day/6 month onsite backup with the most current
> backup stored offsite
> Can this be done?

I'd look into the archive functionally of backuppc and push the current
backup as a tarball to the offsite host and not worry about running
remote backuppc. As you say you are only looking to hold the current
backup offsite you can simply transfer the current archive with
scp/rsync/tar over ssh to the offsite host.

--
Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>