BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues with rsyncd rstore

2011-12-09 11:58:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues with rsyncd rstore
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 10:56:11 -0600
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Ralph Weaver <ralph AT cybrhost DOT net> wrote:
> I'm currently seeing some issues with restoration of the /usr/lib
> directory on several of my servers.  Eventually it hits one of the 'bad
> files' and then it stalls there forever.  I've turned up log level and
> ensured I was using rsync > 3.0.5 on both sides of the connection, but
> I'm having no luck diagnosing what is causing the issue.

Not sure what could be going on here, but backuppc does not use the
native rsync on the server side.  It has its own implementation in
perl.

> Backuppc server is running ubuntu 10.04.01 LTS using backuppc
> 3.1.0-9ubuntu1 from the archives, rsync version 3.0.7  protocol version
> 30 on the backuppc server.
>
> Client is running centos 6 w/plesk 10.4.0 and rsync version 3.0.6
> protocol version 30 on the client.
>
> The backup itself runs quickly and finishes and I can browse and restore
> files individually but not restore the entire backup or even the entire
> /usr/lib directory in one go.

Are you overwriting libraries in use by running programs? Maybe even
the running rsyncd itself?  Perhaps ending up with mixed/incompatible
library versions during the run.  That would not be a good thing.