BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] weird smörgåsbord of errors

2011-12-09 15:52:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] weird smörgåsbord of errors
From: Michel <forerunnert AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 21:50:49 +0100
>> I use the nfs server to mount /raid/home/user on the server to
>> /home/user on my desktop. I use Backuppc to make a backup every night.
>> This has run for ages successfully until I tried to restore a backup
>> of /raid/home/user with Backuppc. After this I got the weirdest errors
>> from services like Apache2, backuppc, Munin, etc. about permissions
>> denied, libraries missing etc.
>
> It is never a good idea to overwrite running programs or the shared
> libraries they are using.   Sometimes you can get away with it using
> rsync because it will write a new file and rename it when complete and
> the way unix/linux works, anything with the original file open will
> still see it until the last close.  But, it doesn't look like you
> intended to do that.

I didn´t intend to overwrite any files: /raid certainly wasn´t in use
at the time.

> Why would your restore to /raid/home/user be affecting things under
> /var?   In any case, I'd recommend using rsync over ssh to the server
> for the backups instead of backing up the nfs-mounted view.

That is a very good question indeed..

The folder I was trying to restore was a harmless one in /raid that
should have nothing to do with the rest of the system as far as I
know... It's just the place I store the /home of a completely
different system.

rsync is not really an alternative for me because at the time the
backup runs usually only the server is running, not the client (my
desktop).

>> Does anyone have a clue what is going on here, and possibly a way to
>> fix my system?
>> Any help very much appreciated,
>
> How have you configured it to back up and restore localhost?   If it
> isn't using the stock commands over ssh, you may have gotten something
> wrong in the layers of shell quote escaping and the restore command is
> being interpreted incorrectly.

Yes it should back up /etc and /var of localhost (the server). But
these weren´t selected to be restored.

I am a little bit further: I found that all applications depending on
Perl are broken, and I found this in Backuppc log:

   2011-12-08 20:17:37 Started restore on localhost (pid=11576)
   2011-12-08 19:28:11 localhost: Can't locate Carp/Heavy.pm in @INC
(@INC contains: /usr/share/backuppc/lib /etc/perl
   /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1
/usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10
/usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .)    at
   /usr/share/perl/5.10/Carp.pm line 39.
   Exec of /bin/df /backup failed
   2011-12-08 19:38:18 Got signal TERM... cleaning up
   Can't locate Carp/Heavy.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/share/backuppc/lib /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1
/usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1
   /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10
/usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at
/usr/share/perl/5.10/Carp.pm line 39.

But I think it exists (/usr/share/perl/5.10.1 is symlinked to
/usr/share/perl/5.10):

   # locate Heavy.pm
   /usr/share/perl/5.10.1/Carp/Heavy.pm
   /usr/share/perl/5.10.1/Exporter/Heavy.pm

Backuppc is running as user backuppc which is in sudoers to run tar as root.

I am starting to suspect that my Perl is messed up, because everything
that uses it is broken. I've tried to re-install its packages but no
luck yet.