BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Backing up from BackupPC to BackupPC

2011-12-12 03:51:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fwd: Backing up from BackupPC to BackupPC
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 15:50:18 +0700
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 2:03 AM, member horvath
<member AT thehorvaths.co DOT uk> wrote:
> Thanks very much for the info.
> my backups are many terabytes in size so making local copies over and above
> the onsite backup is not practical.
> To remind you I need a 30day/6month onsite and only the most recent offsite.
> Once the initial offsite is performed (This will be very large) The ongoing
> "incremental s" will still be several GBs.
> I need the archive option in backuppc to rsync the most recent copy offsite
> on a daily basis.

I think you need to research and understand a bit more about how BPC
works in order to plan your strategy effectively.

The "archive option" in backuppc is the same things as "local copies
over and above the onsite backup", it was designed to allow people to
take full snapshots off-site, usually using tape media. In your case
the resulting huge monolithic full-set files are impractical to send
over the WAN.

The only way to get incremental functionality over the wire using
BackupPC is to run another BPC server at the remote location on a
separate schedule, and rsync is the way to go if your target hosts
allow.

Les is da man, follow his advice!

Another option is to physically rotate your backup filesystems off-site

  - Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
hurtling down the highway. — Andrew Tanenbaum

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011