BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy

2011-09-30 16:21:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:19:11 -0500
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Mike Dresser
<mdresser_l AT windsormachine DOT com> wrote:

> Either way, the system keeps up with backups, so performance wasn't much
> of an issue, I just plain ran out of space on the old array.
>
> Also, with 6-8 drives, I can lose any two, vs the remote possibility of
> losing the wrong two on Raid10, as touched on by other replies.

In theory you can lose 2 drives, but even with one there will be a
large performance hit as missing data has to be reconstructed from
parity and a larger one when you rebuild on the replacement drive(s).
 Will that matter?  Raid 1 or 10 will still run at full speed with a
missing mirror.

> I'm still looking forward to backuppc 4.x with its removal of
> hardlinks.. there's nearly 14 million directories and 150 million
> hardlinks on this array and that definitely slows the system down.

Hardlinks shouldn't slow anything down unless you need to traverse
them, which you usually don't.  Having related directories/inodes/file
blocks near each other would help speed-wise but it's not clear how a
different de-dup method would improve that.