BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy

2011-09-30 10:12:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:10:04 +0200
On Friday 30 September 2011 14:37:20 Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
> wrote:
> > And don't argue that disks with consecutive serial numbers won't break
> > together: From the three disk failures I encountered where I had a second
> > of the same type, that second broke shortly after.
>
> I'd argue that it is not likely that a working disk is going to fail
> in that one pass that it takes to rebuild a raid/mirror,

That is exactly my point: With one of our clients the second broke (luckily!)
shortly after the mirroring to the new second disk finished. Had it broken half
an hour earlier the data would have been toast.

Two disks manufactured by the same people and machines at the same time, used
at the same place with the same usage pattern _will_ fail at the same time.
The common argument is that two disks in raid1 are independent statistics. But
the problem is when the disks are the same, they don't have independent
statistics...

Have fun,

Arnold