BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy

2011-09-29 23:11:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy
From: Trey Dockendorf <treydock AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:09:15 -0500

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Adam Goryachev <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:

http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy2

On the RAID 6 vs RAID 10 aspect of your question, using the example from Mike, that RAID 10 array could use 1/2 of the actual storage.  So 5TB usable with 10x1TB (10TB) drives, while the RAID6 array can use 12TB with 6x3TB (18TB) hard drives.  At least my understanding of one of the benefits of 6 over 10 is that 6 scales better.  You get the storage space of n-2 rather than n/2, so if your dealing with large numbers of disks the usable capacity penalty is much less.  Be interested if that's seen as an accurate assessment and if there are other possible trade offs between the two.  I've typically also favored 10 , but recently began using 6 on storage arrays where I needed large numbers of disks to have as much storage space available while still having high fault tolerance.

- Trey