BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy

2011-09-30 06:53:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:51:41 +0200
On Friday 30 September 2011 06:20:42 Tim Connors wrote:
> Worst case, if you lose one disk, then rebuild, and during rebuild,
> suffer the likely consequence of losing another disk when rebuilding
> raid6, you still have a valid array.
> Worse case, fairly likely occurence with raid10, lose that second disk and
> lose all your data.
> Care for your data ==> don't use raid10.

Thats stupid.

Raid5: Loose one disk during recovery -> you are screwed.
Raid6: Loose two disks during recovery -> you are screwed.

Given that fact that most people use the same disks from the same vendor and
the same production line (with consecutive serial numbers), the chances to
have several disks fail at the same time is very high.

For Raid1 and Raid10: Use two lots of disks from different vendors or at least
buy them half a year apart. And pair so that always two different kinds are
toghether. Then one batch can collectivly jump the cliff while all your data is
still intact.

And don't argue that disks with consecutive serial numbers won't break
together: From the three disk failures I encountered where I had a second of
the same type, that second broke shortly after.

Have fun,

Arnold