BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy

2011-09-30 00:22:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy
From: Tim Connors <tconnors AT rather.puzzling DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:20:42 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, Adam Goryachev wrote:

> On 30/09/11 04:11, Mike Dresser wrote:
> > Just finishing up moving one of my backuppc servers to new larger disks,
> > and figured I'd submit a success story with backuppc_tarpccopy... I
> > wanted to create a new xfs filesystem rather than my usual dd and
> > xfsgrowfs, as this thing has been in use since backuppc 2.1 or similar.
> > Old disks were 10 x 1TB in raid10, new is 6 x 3TB's in raid6 (which in
> > itself has been upgraded many times).. the new raid6 is FAR faster in
> > both iops and STR than the old one.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious that you say you are getting better performance from the new
> RAID6 compared to the old RAID10.
>
> Can I assume this is because the new HDD's perform better than the old?
> In other words, would it be safe to assume you would get even better
> performance using RAID10 with the new HDD's than you are getting with RAID6?
>
> I'm just curious, I'm fairly confident that RAID10 always performs
> better than RAID5 or RAID6. Just want to make sure I'm not making a mess
> of things by using RAID10 over RAID6.
>
> Can anyone suggest any advantage of RAID6 over RAID10 (aside from the
> obvious additional storage capacity/reduced wastage of space)?

Worst case, if you lose one disk, then rebuild, and during rebuild,
suffer the likely consequence of losing another disk when rebuilding
raid6, you still have a valid array.

Worse case, fairly likely occurence with raid10, lose that second disk and
lose all your data.

Care for your data ==> don't use raid10.

--
Tim Connors