BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy

2011-09-30 08:38:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 07:37:20 -0500
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
wrote:

> And don't argue that disks with consecutive serial numbers won't break
> together: From the three disk failures I encountered where I had a second of
> the same type, that second broke shortly after.

I'd argue that it is not likely that a working disk is going to fail
in that one pass that it takes to rebuild a raid/mirror, if it had no
errors at the start of the pass (possible of course, but not likely).
The real problem is that there are parts of the disk that haven't been
accessed for a while and the errors already exist on multiple drives
before you notice them.   For software raid, I thought a cron job was
supposed to be testing them periodically, but the notification may not
reach you - and hardware raid may not to the tests.