BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes

2011-09-02 23:07:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 22:05:22 -0500
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:03 PM,  <hansbkk AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

>>>In the past I was running the init start/stop via sudo - would that have
>>> messed things up?
>
> Should I run the start/stop with su backuppc instead?

I don't use debian/ubuntu that much.  On a RedHat/Centos system you
run the init scripts as root (usually via the 'service'  command) to
start and stop things and the scripts or programs take care of setting
the right user id themselves.

> I've now tried to uninstall/re-install twice times without success.
> Apparently the failure of the hardlink test during the postinstall also
> prevented the creation of the default config.pl and hosts files.
>
> This time I'm planning to delete the backuppc user as well as:
>
> /var/lib/backuppc
> /etc/backuppc
> /var/log/backuppc
> /usr/share/backuppc

None of that should be necessary.  The only thing I can think is that
you manually created something as root and left it so backuppc
couldn't write what it needed, or your mounts aren't really where you
think.  Or if you installed, then copied the installed files to a new
place you didn't use 'cp -a' to preserve ownership and permissions.

> is there **anything** else I should do to ensure a "clean" system state
> before re-installing BackupPC?

On a RH/Centos system you could 'rpm -V backuppc' and it would display
any change in files, ownership, or permissions in the current system
from what the package installed.  I'd expect a similar function with
debs but don't know enough to help you with it.