BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes

2011-09-04 23:02:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 10:01:41 +0700
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 12:41 AM,  <hansbkk AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>>
>> Re packaging issues, I'm not trying to figure them out at all, AFAIC they're
>> a "black box" that just works - I plan to just observe their results and
>> stick to their policies (I didn't realize BPC permissions could vary from
>> one distro to another).
>
> Thinking of it as a black box only works if you don't plan to make
> your own changes.   The disto packagers modify things to fit programs
> into the way each distribution works, so don't expect the components
> to be in the same places, have the same names, owners, permissions,
> etc. between .deb and .rpm packages.  It is up to the packager to make
> those decisions and they are fairly arbitrary.

I just meant I didn't want people to waste their time helping me
troubleshoot packaging-specific issues.

I also don't plan on making changes beyond the symlink/mount
redirection to a dedicated TOPDIR drive, which should be transparent.

>> Re OS choices, I don't have the access, knowledge or desire to do my initial
>> learning/experimentation in the production CentOS CLI environment; for many
>> aspects it's so much easier to work with a distro like Ubuntu at this
>> stage.
>
> That makes no sense at all to me.  CentOS will install and work just
> the same as ubuntu unless you have some unusual hardware and if you
> want a GUI <snip>

I meant easier *for me*, simply that I've personally climbed a littler
higher up Ubuntu's learning curve, and yes I've found a GUI helpful
for certain things - although I'm working with the server edition,
I've installed ubuntu-desktop, but am manually bringing it up via
startx only when needed.

I admit it's a bit of a crutch, and I'm actively working toward
learning how to do everything from the text console, as that will of
course be my only option once I'm managing BackupPC in production -
that environment doesn't have X at all, and in fact I won't have
access to the physical console anymore.

Thanks for your help Les, and if it isn't out of line I'd like to ask
that we end this mega thread, I'm feeling very "kreng jai" toward the
list and don't want to take any more of your collective time. . .