BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes

2011-09-03 23:52:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 23:49:58 -0400
hansbkk AT gmail DOT com wrote at about 14:18:41 +0700 on Saturday, September
3, 2011:
 > On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT
 > com>wrote:
 >
 > > But would probably be a very good idea.  What would be an even better idea
 > > would be to grab a spare PC (or a virtual guest) and test it from a
 > > completely clean installation.  And document the *heck* out of what you do:
 > >  you *will* be doing it again (and again and again....).
 > >

 > Well the whole thing is a test system, and I'm not that concerned with
 > figuring out what went wrong vs moving forward, so I guess I'll just wipe
 > and restart with a clean OS.
 >
 > Since I want to use the BackupPC 3.1 package (eventual production system
 > will be on CentOS5), while I'm at it I'll use the Ubuntu version it's
 > designed for, Lucid 10.04, rather than the latest Natty 11.04.
 >
 > Hopefully will eliminate the problems I'm seeing un/re- installing from
 > the package system.
 >
 > I plan to keep the pool folders and of course my long-tweaked config.pl, but
 > will start off from the clean install with as close to defaults as possible
 > with a small static target share to test with, then make the changes a
 > little at a time only after I've got the basics working right.
 >
 > Which as you say I should've done from the start. . .
 >
 > In the meantime there are a few unanswered questions in the thread above if
 > anyone has the information to  ontribute more detailed responses I'm sure it
 > will help others googling later on. . .

Just a piece of friendly advice... you seem to have posted dozens of
posts in the past 24 hours or so... you keep making multiple, often
non-standard or nonsensical changes to a standard
configuration... and are asking multiple questions as you dig yourself
deeper.

Why don't you pursue this in a rational and organized approach? Get
the basic system working with no modifications. Verify that it works,
play with it, and get comfortable with the default setup and
behaviors. Then step-by-step make one change at a time. If the change
works as expected, then move on to the next change. If it doesn't then
you know the exact source of the problem and can either troubleshoot
it yourself (ideal) or ask a specific question to the list.

What you are doing now is confusing yourself and probably most of the
readers of the list. Pretty soon people will get tired of answering
you or will lose track of all the questions and changes you have made
meaning that they won't be around to help you when you really need it.

Thanks