BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes

2011-09-04 01:44:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 12:41:57 +0700
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
Just a piece of friendly advice... you seem to have posted dozens of
posts in the past 24 hours or so... you keep making multiple, often
non-standard or nonsensical changes to a standard
configuration... and are asking multiple questions as you dig yourself
deeper.

Thanks very Jeffrey, and to everyone, both for specific answers to my questions and for your valuable general advice and feedback.

About my messing things up by my lack of *nix knowledge and making things too complicated, you're completely right and I apologize for wasting your time with my scattered approach to the learning curve.

Re packaging issues, I'm not trying to figure them out at all, AFAIC they're a "black box" that just works - I plan to just observe their results and stick to their policies (I didn't realize BPC permissions could vary from one distro to another). If necessary, I will now be able to just roll back to a virgin state via CloneZilla, rather than un-installing.

Re OS choices, I don't have the access, knowledge or desire to do my initial learning/experimentation in the production CentOS CLI environment; for many aspects it's so much easier to work with a distro like Ubuntu at this stage. Once I'm confident I've got the BPC side of things working just right, the CentOS guy can set up the production server however he likes.

My ultimate goal is to have a self-contained BackupPC HDD - conf and log physically under TOPDIR - which in the event of a disaster can be mounted to a new host running an arbitrary distro, possibly needing to be created by a staffer even more ignorant of Linux than myself supported by a step-by-step howto. Ideally I'd like to figure out how to create a customized BackupPC LiveCD that could be stored with the drive(s) offsite.

These goals also support my doing the learning/configuration work on an alternative distro.

But for now, I am starting from scratch with 3.1 on Lucid, working step by step in departing from the defaults, testing and keeping careful notes in case I need to come back here with further issues, so as not to waste you guys' time further.

Thanks again for your help.