BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] upgrade from Fedora to Ubuntu

2011-06-14 10:40:42
Subject: [BackupPC-users] upgrade from Fedora to Ubuntu
From: Chris Baker <cbaker AT intera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:34:00 -0500
I have a server that is about three years old. I set it up and haven't
done much with it since. I am running Kernel version this:
"2.6.23.1-42.fc8 #1 SMP Tue Oct 30 13:18:33 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
GNU/Linux"

I installed BackupPC at the time and have also just left it alone.

Just recently, with some help from people here, I set up some new servers
myself and was truly amazed at just how easy it was. I set up Ubuntu LTS
10.04, and everything just works.

I have major improvements in the throughput of my backups. I was getting
about 4 MB/sec before and now getting over 15 MB/sec sometimes. I also
don't get the "20000 millisecond timeout" or other errors. This has been a
wonderful surprise.

This has also convinced me to get rid of Fedora in favor of Ubuntu.
Installing BackupPC three years ago was an absolute nightmare.
Unfortunately, that was one thing that made me reluctant to upgrade. I
only upgraded recently because I had a server crash.

So, I would like to upgrade this old server. What is the best way to do
this? I hope that I don't have to erase my current backups, until new ones
are written over them.

The current setup has the /home directory mounted on an external eSATA
drive enclosure which is switched out regularly. This is our method for
off-site backups, and it works just fine. The partition on the external
drive is ext3. I simply shut down the server and switch the drives. The
backups are in:

/home/backuppc/data/pc

I have noticed that the new BackupPC keeps backups in the directory:

/var/lib/backuppc/pc

I'm thinking of just doing a clean install on a new drive and then
mounting /var to the external drive. I suppose I could also mount
/var/lib/backuppc to the external drive.

Hopefully I have provided enough details. What is the best strategy here?

Chris Baker
cbaker AT intera DOT com
512-425-2006