BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] upgrade from Fedora to Ubuntu

2011-06-14 12:03:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] upgrade from Fedora to Ubuntu
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:00:56 -0400
On 6/14/2011 10:34 AM, Chris Baker wrote:
> I have a server that is about three years old. I set it up and haven't
> done much with it since. I am running Kernel version this:
> "2.6.23.1-42.fc8 #1 SMP Tue Oct 30 13:18:33 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
> GNU/Linux"
>
> I installed BackupPC at the time and have also just left it alone.
>
> Just recently, with some help from people here, I set up some new servers
> myself and was truly amazed at just how easy it was. I set up Ubuntu LTS
> 10.04, and everything just works.
>
> I have major improvements in the throughput of my backups. I was getting
> about 4 MB/sec before and now getting over 15 MB/sec sometimes. I also
> don't get the "20000 millisecond timeout" or other errors. This has been a
> wonderful surprise.
>
> This has also convinced me to get rid of Fedora in favor of Ubuntu.
> Installing BackupPC three years ago was an absolute nightmare.
> Unfortunately, that was one thing that made me reluctant to upgrade. I
> only upgraded recently because I had a server crash.

You are switching from Fedora to Ubuntu because a new server running
Ubuntu is faster than a 3 year old server running Fedora?  It sounds to
me like the speed differences you are seeing are due more to newer
(faster) hardware than an OS change.  The ease of installation is
probably also at least partly due to the newer OS having a more polished
installer.  You would probably find that a recent version of Fedora is
also much easier to install than the old one.

I'm not advocating for Fedora here -- I'm just pointing out that this
doesn't sound like a fair comparison between the two.  Personally, I use
CentOS for my BackupPC server.

--
Bowie