BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] upgrade from Fedora to Ubuntu

2011-06-14 12:43:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] upgrade from Fedora to Ubuntu
From: Chris Baker <cbaker AT intera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:42:07 -0500
Chris Baker
cbaker AT intera DOT com
512-425-2006

> > You are switching from Fedora to Ubuntu because a new server running
> > Ubuntu is faster than a 3 year old server running Fedora?  It sounds
> > me like the speed differences you are seeing are due more to newer
> > (faster) hardware than an OS change.  The ease of installation is
> > probably also at least partly due to the newer OS having a more
polished
> > installer.  You would probably find that a recent version of Fedora is
> > also much easier to install than the old one.
> >
> > I'm not advocating for Fedora here -- I'm just pointing out that this
> > doesn't sound like a fair comparison between the two.  Personally, I
use
> > CentOS for my BackupPC server.
>
> I have to agree - there is either some quirk in your old system or the
> speedup is due to some newer component that you'd get in a newer version
> of fedora or anything else.  You shouldn't have been seeing timeouts
> regularly in any case.   I generally use Centos myself, but would
> hesitate to install a 5.x version now and 6.x hasn't been released yet.
>   And there's really nothing wrong with using ubuntu, especially the LTS
> versions.

The machines that are running Ubuntu are actually older than the machine
that is running Fedora. People here had been using them as workstations.
The Fedora box was purchased specifically to be used for backups. The
Ubuntu machines have 1 GB of memory, and the Fedora box has 4 GB.

Also, I sometimes run a direct cable connection to backups with the Fedora
server--a cable directly from the client to BackupPC. I am still getting
better performance with Ubuntu.

For a while, I was doing regular upgrades on the Fedora server. I did them
until the first kernel upgrade was pushed out. After that kernel upgrade,
my external drive was no longer accessible. I basically quit upgrading at
the point and went back to the old kernel.

I have no time for "upgrades" that break things.