BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems rsyncing WinXP

2011-06-10 05:59:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems rsyncing WinXP
From: Daniel Spannbauer <ds AT marco DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:57:56 +0200
Am 06/09/2011 04:41 PM, schrieb Michael Stowe:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to backup a WinXP-Machine with Backup-PC and rysncd for a
>> long time now.
>> But the rsync is always aborted, but I don't now why.
>>
>> In the error-log on the webinterface I found:
>> full backup started for directory cDrive
>> Connected to b-cdcopy:873, remote version 29
>> Negotiated protocol version 28
>> Connected to module cDrive
>> Sending args: --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D
>> --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
>> --ignore-times . .
>> Sent exclude: /System Volume Information
>> Sent exclude: /pagefile.sys
>> Sent exclude: /hiberfil.sys
>> Sent exclude: /RECYCLER
>> Sent exclude: /rsyncd
>> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/*/Lokale
>> Einstellungen/Temporary Internet Files
>> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/*/Lokale Einstellungen/Temp
>> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und
>> Einstellungen/*/Anwendungsdaten/Microsoft/Search
>> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/NetworkService/*
>> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/LocalService/*
>> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/*/NTUSER.DAT
>> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/*/ntuser.dat.LOG
>> Sent exclude: /WINDOWS/Temp
>> Sent exclude: /WINDOWS/Registration/*.crmlog
>> Sent exclude: /Temp
>> Sent exclude: *.dat
>> Sent exclude: *.LOG
>> Sent exclude: /WINDOWS/*
>> Sent exclude: *\x{c2}\x{ae}*
>> Xfer PIDs are now 26205
>> [ überspringe 5636 Zeilen ]
>> Done: 4580 files, 3227159801 bytes
>> Backup aborted ()
>> Saving this as a partial backup, replacing the prior one (got 4580 and
>> 4580 files versus 0)
>>
>> I use backupPC 3.2.0 on a Machine with OpenSuSE, on Windows-XP the
>> cygwin-rsyncd from http://sourceforge.net/projects/backuppc
>>
>> Any ideas why the backup is abborted?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I can tell you what I encountered, and speculate that you may be
> experiencing something similar:
>
> Some antivirus programs are protective of attempts to read their files or
> directories, and respond by either killing the process or suspending its
> ability to read files (neither of which rsync reacts well to.)
>
> There are a few other things that can confuse and abort rsync:
> - not using vshadow/locked files -- in most cases, this is just an error,
> but in some corner cases, it seems that rsync will abort.  I'm not sure
> what the pattern is.
> - antivirus and related programs either protect the filesystem or the port
> from rsync, interpreting it as an attack (Norton and McAffee in
> particular, but the behavior is by no means restricted to these two.)  In
> many cases, the port and binary can be placed into an exception list.
> - rsync may encounter a filename or directory structure that it is not
> [...]

Hm,

I've tested it for 5 minutes with the "normal" rsnc of my distribution....
The Rsync did not stop, I only get the message

sent 646598 bytes  received 15201260820 bytes  8223915.29 bytes/sec
total size is 19531542623  speedup is 1.28
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(1310) [generator=2.6.8]

at the end of the process.
So I think the rsyncd on the Windows-host is not the problem.

Regards

Daniel

Daniel Spannbauer                         Software Entwicklung
marco Systemanalyse und Entwicklung GmbH  Tel   +49 8333 9233-27 Fax -11
Rechbergstr. 4 - 6, D 87727 Babenhausen   Mobil +49 171 4033220
http://www.marco.de/                      Email ds AT marco DOT de
Geschäftsführer Martin Reuter             HRB 171775 Amtsgericht München