BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] upgrade from Fedora to Ubuntu

2011-06-14 11:24:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] upgrade from Fedora to Ubuntu
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:22:29 +0100
On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 09:34 -0500, Chris Baker wrote:
> I'm thinking of just doing a clean install on a new drive and then
> mounting /var to the external drive. I suppose I could also mount
> /var/lib/backuppc to the external drive.
>
> Hopefully I have provided enough details. What is the best strategy here?

That's exactly what I would recommend. Don't try to preserve the Fedora
configs. Before installing, delete all the contents of /home/* except
for your BackupPC path directories. Then make them look like the final
planned filesystem. Move /home/backuppc/data/ to /home/lib/backuppc.

Then use any Ubuntu installer, and select the manual partitioning mode.
Set your current /home partition to mount as /var/, use as ext3, don't
format. Use the rest as / and swap, as you like. I suggest ext4 for /,
though.

Alternatively, consider mounting your current /home
as /var/lib/backuppc. That way only BackupPC is on that drive array. It
also means your system can boot and run without it (except for BackupPC
itself). That's good for troubleshooting, replacing the drive array,
etc.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices."
   -- Edward R. Murrow