BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of VM images

2011-06-07 05:02:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of VM images
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 11:00:24 +0200
Hello Les and thanks for giving your feedback...

[cut]

> over the whole file.  If they do change and you use rsync,
> only the differences will be transferred (to the extent that
> rsync can find them and resync on the matching parts in a
> huge file), but the server will use the old copy and the
> differences to reconstruct a full-sized copy which is slow
> and won't be pooled with anything else.  If the size and rate

So I'm right when thinking that rsync *does* transfer only the bits of a
file (no matter how big) which have changed, and *not* the whole file?
It wouldn't matter if I don't get anything pooled, I'd just have to
choose the correct filesize dimension to store every copy of that VM
image.

> of change makes this impractical, there are some more
> efficient approaches you could try that would make an
> intermediate delta-based backup.

Well, size is a critical parameter, because I can suppose that VM images
are quite *big* files.
But if the data transfer could be reduced by using rsync (over ssh of
course), there's no problem because the initial transfer would be done
by "importing" the VM images from a USB HDD. Therefore, only subsequent
"backups" (rsyncs) would transfer data.

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Flavio Boniforti