BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of VM images

2011-06-07 14:30:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of VM images
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:29:13 -0500
On 6/7/2011 1:04 PM, Timothy J Massey wrote:

> I'm not sure that really matters. The bandwidth usage will be similar to
> the difference between incrementals and fulls in a traditional BackupPC
> setup (i.e. you already have those same bandwidth issues: the VM's
> aren't going to make it worse). The biggest problem is that *every*
> backup is going to have to read 100% of the data every time. In other
> words, there really is no such thing as an incremental: an incremental
> and a full will read the same amount of data on both ends.

But if bandwidth is the bottleneck and rsync succeeds at finding the
matching parts, having a closer matching file should be faster.

> You could certainly use BackupPC for backing up VM's: it's just a matter
> of scale. But having an aged series of snapshot backups makes *very*
> little sense. You will *NOT* want to use your snapshot backups to try to
> pull back old files. You really just want a handful of very recent
> copies (in case one is bad or you make some sort of catastrophic change
> you want to back out). Your aged series of backups should be done at the
> file level (inside of the VM), and that's 100% a standard BackupPC
> solution.

While the typical use would be to revive the latest copy after some sort
of disaster, I wouldn't rule out wanting older versions too.  For
example if you had a security intrusion or an update-gone-wrong, you
might want to back out to something older and known-good.