BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of VM images

2011-06-07 11:44:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of VM images
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:42:56 -0500
On 6/7/2011 9:51 AM, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hello Jim
>
> [cut]
>
>> Were I attempting to back up the images I would assume that
>> the unused areas would be included. My solution to backing up
>> my VMs was to install backuppc for each of them and treat
>> them the same as physical machines on my net. This did lead
>> to problems backing up Win2K and WinXP VMs, but only those
>> already fully addressed for physical systems.
>
> I understand you are/were working on the same LAN.
>
> My trouble begins at the point where there are 15km between the HQ and
> the backup location!

That's a problem that a sufficient amount of money can solve, with
'sufficient' varying wildly depending on your location and network
providers.   But in any case it is likely to be more efficient to back
up the live machines (virtual or otherwise) than their disk images - and
that way you also get useful pooling for the storage.

One other point that I'm not sure anyone mentioned yet is that the rsync
comparison is normally against the previous full run, so it will be
important to either do only fulls or set incremental levels to make each
run backed by the previous so the differences don't accumulate over time.