BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?

2011-05-18 03:59:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?
From: Tomasz Pawlik <tomi AT mtl.one DOT pl>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 09:56:48 +0200
In case of performance there could be other point of view. Everyone lay
stress on fast backups but for me performance is not a goal.

In my company there are many laptops (all windows) so I don't have time
for backing up after hours. Furthermore great speed of BackupPC server
comes with great client load. People are complaining and sometimes it is
hard to explain that there is no need to reinstall windows because
backup slows computer down.

So I use combination of VSS (Shadow Copy) and slow backups in
background. In such case and relatively small number of clients there is
no need for very fast processor and maybe some NAS device will suits you
just fine.

Tom.