BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] No ping respons on localhost after ubuntu upgrade

2011-05-17 21:30:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] No ping respons on localhost after ubuntu upgrade
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Magnus Larsson <magnus AT vista DOT se>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 03:30:28 +0200
Hi,

Magnus Larsson wrote on 2011-05-17 23:08:58 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] No ping
respons on localhost after ubuntu?upgrade]:
> [context dropped as I have not yet implemented un-toppost.pl]
> localhost       0       backuppc
>
> Then there is a localhost.pl.

regardless of why it doesn't work (which does sound weird), there is no
benefit to pinging localhost. You couldn't even *try* to ping it if it were
down. In localhost.pl, try

        $Conf {PingCmd} = '&{sub {0}}';

which is a simple way of saying

        $Conf {PingCmd} = '/bin/true';

except that it doesn't need a child process to figure out the value of true
- Perl is perfectly capable of doing that itself without the result being in
any way inferior.

If your problem persists (or changes in nature), maybe at least we'll get a
better indication of the cause (error message). In that case, please give
more detail on your localhost.pl file and what your log files say.

Regards,
Holger