BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

2011-05-12 11:42:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:37:23 -0400
"Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org> wrote on 05/12/2011 10:30:49 AM:

> From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>

> To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support"
> <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>

> Date: 05/12/2011 10:31 AM
> Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> > thanks for the reply, seems to be the latter as I can easily connect
> > to the smb host with other windows and mac machines.
>
> > As I mentioned
> > in the original post, I tried running the command via terminal and got the
> > same error; I doubt its a credentials problem since I get a completely
> > different error when I deliberately enter incorrect creds (LOGON FAILURE).
> > Running from the command line with logging turned up doesn't reveal much
> > more info. Looks like windows is closing the connection right after
> > authentication. Lastly I am able to access other smb shares on *nix based
> > hosts from BackupPC just not this Win2K3 box.
>
> There are plenty of things that can be interfering post connection --
> anything from third-party firewalls to anti-virus software, to not setting
> up the shares properly to setting up a share on a path where the user
> doesn't have access.  You probably don't have much choice but poking
> through these possibilities, I'd be inclined to start by seeing if the
> same user has access to the path at all (locally.)

And I don't remember seeing where you tried to connect to that share from a remote Windows box:  do you get an error there, too?

For example: from any Windows machine Command Prompt (besides the W2K3 server itself) on the network:

        NET USE Z: \\SERVER\SHARE /USER:USERNAME

Then it will prompt you for the password.  Type it in.  If it connects and you can then see files on the Z: drive, then your permissions are correct on the W2K3 server.  If you get an error, then the problem is with the permissions on the server, and nothing to do with Samba/BackupPC.

One last thing:  depending on the version of Samba you have and the security settings on your W2K3 server, there can be all kinds of conflicts:  e.g. Samba is using a different (lower) authentication mechanism than the W2K3 will accept.  This is far worse (and more common) between Vista/7/W2K8/R2 and Samba, but it is still easily possible with W2K3.

This is just a random page found from a very quick Google, but it gives you an idea of the flavor of issues you might be facing:

http://www.silug.org/lists/silug-discuss/200412/msg00222.html

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!