BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

2011-05-11 10:26:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
From: "Ryan Blake" <rblake3 AT hotmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:21:45 -0400
>> Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 00:11:46 -0500
>> From: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org
>> To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
>> Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tree connect failed:
>> NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>>

>> > Greetings,
>> > I keep getting the following error: tree connect failed:
>> > NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED, when I attempt to run full backups on a SMB
>> > (Win
>> > 2003) share. I tried via command line and get the same error. Can
>> > someone
>> > please help, thanks.
>> > -Steven
>>
>> That error means you have the credentials incorrect. So you'll need the
>> proper credentials.

NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED means you do not have proper permissions to perform
whatever task/function you are attempting.  Is the account a local
Administrator?  Is it a Domain Admin?

Can you try to access the same share from another workstation while logged
into the same account that BackupPC is using?  If so, are you having
difficulties with it?  If you are, then your problem is likely with
permissions (as I mentioned above).

If you are not having problems with it, then the problem is likely how you
have *nix configured.  You can test this out by running the same command
that BackupPC runs when attempting to backup (command is found under Edit
Config -> Xfer tab) or by simply running the smbclient command (smbclient -L
host -U LoginCredentials). NOTE: You might need two \ when dealing with
Domain\User.

~Ryan