BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving the Pool

2011-05-11 15:05:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving the Pool
From: Rob Sheldon <rob AT associatedtechs DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 12:04:15 -0700
 On Wed, 11 May 2011 14:32:56 -0400, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

> How big was your pool and pc tree?

 We currently have two BackupPC servers we work with -- one of them is
 only about 20G of disk but is using a silly number of inodes (it's
 backing up a maildir mail server, among other things), and I think the
 other is around 3 or 4 TB of disk used at the moment. I don't remember
 which one we had to move, it happened about a year ago. The best I can
 recall is that we struggled with rsync for a week or so, then I found
 out about tarpipes and that got the job done overnight.

 You're right though, on second look, it looks like rsync -a should work
 just as well as tar. I'll have to do another BackupPC pool transfer in a
 few days, and now I'm curious what (if any) difference there is between
 tar and rsync, so I'll try both.

 - R.

--
 [__ Robert Sheldon