BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving the Pool

2011-05-11 14:08:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving the Pool
From: Rob Sheldon <rob AT associatedtechs DOT com>
To: <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:42:03 -0700
 On Wed, 11 May 2011 10:45:01 -0500, Michael Stowe wrote:
> Thought I'd mention that I'm in the process of moving my 1TB backup
> pool
> from one jfs array to another on the same system.  Both arrays are
> RAID-5
> via mdadm.
>
> I'm using "rsync -avP -H src dest," which I started Friday, nearly
> five
> days ago.
>
> The data in cpool moved relatively quickly.  On the other hand, rsync
> has
> been re-establishing hard links to the pc directories for quite a
> while,
> and has quite a ways to go.  On the plus side, it's showing no signs
> of
> stopping or running out of resources, so it looks like it will do the
> job
> ... eventually.

 I had to do this a while back and, like you, found that rsync didn't
 seem to work well. I ended up using a tarpipe instead, and that worked
 great. I can't find my notes for the exact chant I used for it, but this
 should be a good start:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-use-tar-command-through-network-over-ssh-session/

 I don't remember if I had to do this on our "little" BackupPC server or
 on the big one, so I can't say what it's performance was like. I just
 remember that it worked, and rsync did not.

 - R.

--
 [__ Robert Sheldon
 [__ Founder, No Problem