BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving the Pool

2011-05-11 13:20:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving the Pool
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 12:18:45 -0500
On 5/11/2011 10:45 AM, Michael Stowe wrote:

> Thought I'd mention that I'm in the process of moving my 1TB backup pool
> from one jfs array to another on the same system.  Both arrays are RAID-5
> via mdadm.
>
> I'm using "rsync -avP -H src dest," which I started Friday, nearly five
> days ago.

I doubt if most people want to go a week without running backups, and if
your source changes after mapping the inodes for hardlinks you are going
to have a problem.   It might be interesting to compare this to a dd or
partclone image copy of the partition as long as you are going to the
same filesystem type and have an equal or larger amount of space on the
target (you should be able to resize larger after a copy).