BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Outsourcing backup

2010-05-06 08:53:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Outsourcing backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 07:51:44 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hello people.
>
>> For the machines being backed up over the internet, I'd
>> recommend setting IncrLevels to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in order to
>> minimize your bandwidth usage.
>
> I'm popping into this thread because I'm also running "outsourced
> backups" (me calling them "remote backups").
> I'm successfully running a backuppc server at my office, which is
> backing up 8 remote servers for 8 different customers.
> I'm doing 1 FULL and subsequential 6 INCR. Here some config details:
>
> (FullPeriod=6.97, FullKeeCnt=4, FullKeepCntMin=1, FullAgeMax=90)
> (IncrPeriod=0.97, IncrKeepCnt=24, IncKeepCntMin=1, IncrAgeMax=30,
> IncrLevels=1)
>
> I'm pretty satisfied with this setup, but still I'd like to have some
> suggestions for eventually optimise transfer times or other things that
> would help "doing better".
>
> What can you people suggest? Les, do you have some specific advices?

On slow connections it will help to add the -C (compress) option to the ssh
command.  Be sure you exclude any areas or big files you don't need to back up
(like the slocate db on linux boxes, etc.).  If you do several remote backups,
don't do too many concurrently and try to get the start times and full runs
skewed.