BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Outsourcing backup

2010-05-04 12:10:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Outsourcing backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 11:08:51 -0500
On 5/4/2010 9:38 AM, Inno wrote:
> It's a very good idea. But with this solution I am forced to do a single full
> then incrementals. And I'm not sure the speed of upload will be sufficient.

Rsync full backups still only transfer the differences from the last
full.  They run slower than incrementals because they do a block
checksum comparison even on unchanged files, but don't take a lot more
bandwidth.  And since the previous full is the base for comparison, you
don't  want to go too long between fulls.  If you backup both sites from
both servers you should always get a complete run locally and if some of
the remote targets don't complete every night the fulls will just become
skewed which is probably a good idea anyway.