BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Outsourcing backup

2010-05-04 12:14:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Outsourcing backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 11:13:20 -0500
On 5/4/2010 10:42 AM, Erik Hjertén wrote:
> Les Mikesell skrev 2010-05-04 14:50:
>> Inno wrote:
>>
>>> I have not a decent internet connectivity and I have more than 500 GB.
>>>

>> With rsync the size doesn't matter much after you get the initial copy (which
>> you might take on-site and carry over or let it run over a weekend).  The
>> bandwidth/time you need nightly would depend on the rate of change in the
>> content.
>>
> "The size doesn't matter much" - Is this true even if he runs fulls
> every week? Or is it only true for the incremental runs?

Smb/tar methods fulls transfer the entire content.  Rsync methods
compare the previous full to the current content and only transfer the
differences.  The difference between rsync fulls and incrementals is
that incrementals completely skip files where the timestamp and length
match the previous copy and fulls do a block checksum comparison in a
way that does not exchange much data where the parts match.