BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Outsourcing backup

2010-05-05 18:03:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Outsourcing backup
From: Rob Owens <rowens AT ptd DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 18:02:14 -0400
On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 11:08:51AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/4/2010 9:38 AM, Inno wrote:
> > It's a very good idea. But with this solution I am forced to do a single
> > full then incrementals. And I'm not sure the speed of upload will be
> > sufficient.
>
> Rsync full backups still only transfer the differences from the last
> full.  They run slower than incrementals because they do a block
> checksum comparison even on unchanged files, but don't take a lot more
> bandwidth.  And since the previous full is the base for comparison, you
> don't  want to go too long between fulls.  If you backup both sites from
<snip>

For the machines being backed up over the internet, I'd recommend
setting IncrLevels to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in order to minimize your
bandwidth usage.

I have used the setup Les describes, with IncrLevels as stated above,
successfully in 2 scenarios.  One was a business that had an office in
the USA and the UK, and one is in use at my home and my parents' home.

-Rob