BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)

2010-03-24 09:18:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)
From: Achim <achim.latz+gmane AT qustodium DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:52:21 +0100
Hello Frank:

Frank J. Gómez wrote:
> I have an interesting situation here.  One of my users refuses to
> participate in the system of backups because she's concerned about the
> security of her files.  She agreed to participate if I can make the
> system work such that even I am unable to see the contents of her
> files.  She's running Windows -- XP Home, I believe.

I understand that you might not be able to switch the backup solution,
but Box Backup [1], Cumulus [2], duplicity [3] and brackup [4] are
specifically written to what you are looking for.

There is an article on achieving this with Rsync/RSYNCRYPTO/Backuppc
[5], but I haven't tested it.

Good luck, Achim

[1] <http://boxbackup.org/>
[2] <http://www.sysnet.ucsd.edu/projects/cumulus/>