BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)

2010-03-24 05:03:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:34:33 +0000
If she were running Linux, you could use EcryptFS and just backup the
encrypted files.  With Ubuntu, that's dead easy.  I don't think any filesystem-
aware encryption system exists for Windows.  Only partition-aware schemes like
TrueCrypt, and individual file encryption like GPG/PGP file encryption.

Regards,
Tyler

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 20:15:57 Steve wrote:
> You could show her something like TrueCrypt; if she put all the files
> she was worried about in a TrueCrypt volume(s), it would just be a
> "file" as far as BackupPC is concerned.  This is available for Windows
> and Linux I believe, maybe Mac's too...
> Evets
>
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Max Hetrick <maxhetrick AT verizon DOT net>
> wrote:
> > Max Hetrick wrote:
> >> It remains in a locked room then, with no mouse or keyboard either, and
> >> the building is alarmed. Once it's online then, online two
> >> administrators, myself and my boss, are able to view the backups threw
> >> BackupPC's web interface.
> >
> > ... through not threw. My typing and thinking skills aren't on par today.
> > :)

"Always hold your sales meetings in rooms too small for the audience,
even if it means holding them in the WC. 'Standing room only' creates an
atmosphere of success, as in theatres and restaurants, while a half-empty
auditorium smells of failure."
   -- David Ogilvy, "Ogilvy on Advertising"