BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)

2010-03-23 19:03:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)
From: Cody Dunne <cdunne AT cs.umd DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:01:05 -0400
Hi everyone,

On 3/23/2010 3:41 PM, Frank J. Gómez wrote:
> I have an interesting situation here.  One of my users refuses to
> participate in the system of backups because she's concerned about the
> security of her files.  She agreed to participate if I can make the
> system work such that even I am unable to see the contents of her
> files.  She's running Windows -- XP Home, I believe.
<snip>
> How would you do it?  What encryption software would you use?

Last year I floated the idea on the list of having BackupPC handle the
encryption for you using convergent encryption. This would let you pool
encrypted blocks with identical content together just as the pool works
now. It wouldn't solve the problem of having read access on the remote
machine, but it would ensure the privacy of backups on the server. I'm
no encryption expert, but it seemed possible when reading the paper
(doi:10.1109/ICDCS.2002.1022312).

Here is the earlier conversation:

Cody