BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)

2010-03-29 10:34:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)
From: Max Hetrick <maxhetrick AT verizon DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:32:41 -0400
Frank J. Gómez wrote:

> Our conversation centered around the importance of being able to recover
> any given employee's files in the event of their death (which is why
> encrypting the files pre-backup in such a way that the IT Department
> could not read them was not acceptable).  Well, what about me?  I'm the
> only IT person on staff, and I'm the only one with numerous credentials
> (logins to numerous servers, etc) that the org would need in order to
> continue to function without me.  Currently, I'm keeping a plain-text
> password file on an encrypted partition of my hard drive.  No one else
> has access to these passwords because no one else needs them in the
> course of their day-to-day activities.  If I get hit by a bus, they are
> going to be in a bit of trouble.  What measures do y'all have in place
> to ensure your employer can continue on without you?

I keep all important passwords and information in our inventory software
that I use GLPI. Only three admins have access to this software. I'm
just an assistant, but at least others can gain access to things in case
something happens.

We just had to go through a "pandemic" type deal for backup plans not
too long ago. My boss was forced to write down where we store all
passwords, and give an admin username and password to access the
inventory software to the VPs. This is stored and locked then in the VPs
office, from what I understand.

Basically, as long as they know they have access, or can at least get
access, there are no issues then in case the IT department vanishes.

Regards,
Max