BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)

2010-03-23 17:34:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:32:37 -0500
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Steve <leperas AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> You could show her something like TrueCrypt; if she put all the files
> she was worried about in a TrueCrypt volume(s), it would just be a
> "file" as far as BackupPC is concerned.  This is available for Windows
> and Linux I believe, maybe Mac's too...

Maybe a hybrid approach would work? I'm not sure how easy it would be
to implement. But what about an encrypted file system using FUSE under
Cygwin? (Or something that provides similar functionality under
Windows) If it encrypted the files individually, then you could backup
the files instead of a whole volume. It doesn't matter for backup
purposes, but when you wanted to retrieve a file it would be nice to
get the one you want and not have to download the whole file system.

Richard