BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)

2010-03-23 15:56:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:54:46 -0400
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:41:14 -0400, Frank J. Gómez <frank AT crop-circle DOT
net>
wrote:
> I have an interesting situation here.  One of my users refuses to
> participate in the system of backups because she's concerned about the
> security of her files.  She agreed to participate if I can make the
> system work such that even I am unable to see the contents of her
> files.  She's running Windows -- XP Home, I believe.

Stop. Proceed no further.

I fought this battle at a previous employment with a member of the legal
team who refused allow any possibility of the sysadmins seeing the data on
his computer. We eventually gave him an external jazz drive and made him
swear to back up himself.

Said company left a multi-million dollar hole in the ground when it
eventually cratered (not just tanked).

In IT you have to trust your sysadmins. If you don't trust the people who
run your security, your networks, your backups, etc... what are they doing
working for you? If possible, bring this situation to the user's supervisor
and let him/her know the risk that the user is putting on the company by
not backing up. If not possible, quit. I'm not trolling, I'm actually
serious. You don't want to be anywhere near a company that his this lack of
faith in its IT department.

http://lopsa.org/CodeOfEthics

-Josh

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #426:

internet is needed to catch the etherbunny