BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)

2010-03-29 10:39:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] pre-backup encryption? user wants files to be inaccessible even to me :-)
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:37:27 -0400
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:19:08 -0400, Frank J. Gómez <frank AT crop-circle DOT
net>
wrote:

> course of their day-to-day activities.  If I get hit by a bus, they are
> going to be in a bit of trouble.  What measures do y'all have in place
> to ensure your employer can continue on without you?

Hard-copy password sheets in a safe hardly ever fail. Get one with a combo
lock and tell a trusted individual (CEO maybe? board chairman?) the code.
Ideally, the sheet should be in a signature-sealed envelope (sign across
the seal) so you can tell if this individual has accessed the sheet.

Alternately, you can buy safes with both a key and combo lock: give 1
person the key, tell another the combination -- presto: 2-factor/2-person
authentication.

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #426:

internet is needed to catch the etherbunny