BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Merge config in per-host config?

2009-09-05 23:46:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Merge config in per-host config?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 20:42:26 -0400
Craig Barratt wrote at about 20:54:50 -0700 on Friday, September 4, 2009:
 > Davide,
 >
 > The basic problem with putting perl expressions in the config file
 > (to make settings cumulative) is that it isn't compatible with the
 > CGI config editor.  The config editor will get the intended computed
 > values, but when it re-writes the config file it will just write the
 > values, not the original expression.

While the above is certainly true, my guess is that the CGI config
editor and those interested in adding PERL to their config scripts
address very different use cases. i.e., those who like the cgi
interface are probably not going to be interested in playing around
with perl code and vica-versa.

Even so, I imagine it would be possible to add a text window to the
cgi interface that would allow users to append arbitrary code that is
executed either at the beginning or end of the config file (or perhaps
both).

Similarly, perhaps define and add a begin/end comment border that
could be put around perl code in the config file to signal the cgi
interface not to overwrite it and instead, preserve it in place.