BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Merge config in per-host config?

2009-09-03 17:14:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Merge config in per-host config?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 17:10:30 -0400
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote at about 15:00:37 -0500 on Thursday, September 3,
2009:
 > On 09/03 08:45 , Davide Brini wrote:
 > > I agree that it should work like that. However, if I'm not mistaken, it
 > > seems
 > > that what's written here still applies:
 > >
 > > http://osdir.com/ml/sysutils.backup.backuppc.general/2003-10/msg00010.html
 >
 > I think the current behavior is the correct behavior -- where the per-host
 > config file variable data completely replaces the defaults set in the
 > config.pl.
 >
 > The reason is that there are some settings in config.pl where is it not
 > sensible to add the value in config.pl to the value in the per-host file;
 > such as the rsync command.
 >
 > It would be bad from a discoverability standpoint to have some variables be
 > additive, and others ablative. They should all behave the same way; and the
 > only sensible way IMHO is current behavior.
 >
 > Please correct me if I misunderstand your statement and intent.

Perhaps I misunderstand by why couldn't the config.pl be read in
and evaluated first followed by reading in the appropriate
pc/hostname.pl file if it exist.

Then:
1. Any statement in subsequent pc/hostname.pl files of form
                $Conf{xxxxx} = "yyyy";
   would clearly overwrite earlier settings.
2. Any missing $Conf variable in the pc/hostname.pl file would inherit
   from the config.pl file.
3. And something of form:
           push(@{$Conf{xxxxx}}, "zzzz");
   would append to the value set in the main config.pl file

The only issue is that for some variables form #3 might not make sense
but then don't use form #3 or use another snippet of Perl code to
properly make your edit.