BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Merge config in per-host config?

2009-09-06 12:18:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Merge config in per-host config?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:14:40 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Craig Barratt wrote at about 20:54:50 -0700 on Friday, September 4, 2009:
>  > Davide,
>  >
>  > The basic problem with putting perl expressions in the config file
>  > (to make settings cumulative) is that it isn't compatible with the
>  > CGI config editor.  The config editor will get the intended computed
>  > values, but when it re-writes the config file it will just write the
>  > values, not the original expression.
>  >

> While the above is certainly true, my guess is that the CGI config
> editor and those interested in adding PERL to their config scripts
> address very different use cases. i.e., those who like the cgi
> interface are probably not going to be interested in playing around
> with perl code and vica-versa.

I don't think that's necessarily true - at least to the point that people who
use the web interface wouldn't like a way to merge includes/excludes in a way
that updating the master config file can affect existing hosts.  However, I
think the systems needs some kind of 'group' layer between the master and host
configs.

> Even so, I imagine it would be possible to add a text window to the
> cgi interface that would allow users to append arbitrary code that is
> executed either at the beginning or end of the config file (or perhaps
> both).
>
> Similarly, perhaps define and add a begin/end comment border that
> could be put around perl code in the config file to signal the cgi
> interface not to overwrite it and instead, preserve it in place.

Or - perhaps the web interface could permit specifying the name of another file
to evaluate either after or instead of the main config file where values that
apply to a set of machines could be maintained.  That still leaves merging
array
values as a special case that might or might not be wanted, though.