BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Merge config in per-host config?

2009-09-03 16:05:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Merge config in per-host config?
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 15:00:37 -0500
On 09/03 08:45 , Davide Brini wrote:
> I agree that it should work like that. However, if I'm not mistaken, it seems
> that what's written here still applies:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/sysutils.backup.backuppc.general/2003-10/msg00010.html

I think the current behavior is the correct behavior -- where the per-host
config file variable data completely replaces the defaults set in the
config.pl.

The reason is that there are some settings in config.pl where is it not
sensible to add the value in config.pl to the value in the per-host file;
such as the rsync command.

It would be bad from a discoverability standpoint to have some variables be
additive, and others ablative. They should all behave the same way; and the
only sensible way IMHO is current behavior.

Please correct me if I misunderstand your statement and intent.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator