BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Really confused with scheduling

2009-09-03 13:27:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Really confused with scheduling
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 12:23:22 -0500
Jose Torres wrote:
> I want to schedule one Full backup every Sunday at 21:15 and five
> Incremental backups at 00:30 on every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday,
> Friday, and Saturday.
>

> This is something really, really easy to do using NTbackup and Task
> Scheduler on Windows computers, but I have a Zimbra/Ubuntu server and
> can’t use NTbackup.
>

> I read the documentation and tried searching for the setting in Google
> but seems to be so easy that no one has ask for this.
>
> So I guess is that I do not understand.

The usual approach with backuppc is to tell it when you do not want
backups to run and let it take care of deciding which host(s) to back up
at which times within the allowed window.  If you have more than a few
targets, this allows the runs to happen as fast as possible with the
concurrency you permit.  After the initial run, the timing is mostly
controlled by the time you set to expire between each full and incremental.

If you really need to micro-manage things for some reason, you can use a
cron job to send a ServerMesg command:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=ServerMesg_commands